Monday, October 29, 2012

The Consummate Professional

I suppose when most people think of professional writers they think of people like Stephen King, Nora Roberts, and J.K. Rowling. Successful writers with more than one title on a bestseller list. My own idea of a professional writer is far more...elastic. 
Artwork by DevianArtist rui-ricardo
A professional writer in my mind is some one who takes writing seriously. They may or may not end up getting paid for what they are writing and they may not even end up being published. I know it may sound contradictory but this is truly how I feel. A professional writer sets aside time to write and writes several times a week. They take what they are writing very seriously and even feel bad if they neglect their work for more than a few days. They are dedicated to their projects and will think about them constantly. They gather in coffee shops, book stores, libraries, and in their in-home writing nooks. Whether they are writing on notebooks, laptops, ipads or napkins makes no difference. 

Maybe my definition of a professional writer is so distorted because I want to be included in my own definition.Selfish and ambitious but hey, it's my definition and my opinion after all. 

0 comments: